Re: Re: SASS - MKH110 modification

Subject: Re: Re: SASS - MKH110 modification
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 00:36:10 -0400
It's another quiet evening here, only faint insect sounds by ear. But I
made a recording anyway. It's linked off the SASS page:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/sass_mkh110.html
or the direct link is here:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/Sounds/SASS-1.mp3

The mic is hooked through the Sound Design MP2 to the HHb Portadisc. MP2
set at about 5/8 with two lights on steady, Portadisc at 5 with -15dB of
attenuation on top of the -15dB attenuation in the connecting cables
from the pre. Set for some occasional louder calls, but they clammed up
when recording. Sorry about the mp3, but it's set to pretty high quality
to keep the loss down. No post processing, just as it got into the
computer via optical digital and USB.

This is a pan, starts with the right mic towards the woods, L towards
the open field, swings through roughly 180 degrees and ends with L mic
towards the woods and R mic towards the field. Auto is about 1/4 mile
away. Note the small animal eating supper...

Earlier in the evening I had a PZM cap on one mic to compare. Very
little difference, but maybe a slight drop in dB level with the cap. I
removed the cap and both mics are as in the photos for the recording.

Nothing much calling day or night around here right now. Annoying, this
stuff is much quieter than what I'm hoping to record with the mic.