Re: Link address for Walt

Subject: Re: Link address for Walt
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 20:17:15 -0400
Vicki Powys wrote:
> on 5/10/02 3:19 PM, Walter Knapp at  wrote:
>

>>I got a note today that someone could not get to my pages.

> I can now access your pages just fine with the new address.  The photos are
> great, and for me every picture speaks a thousand words.  Your various
> set-ups are quite works of art, great to look at even if I don't manage to
> build one myself.  I'm intrigued by those boot-laces for the M-S set-up.
> Are they designed to deaden wind blast on the mic cables?  I'll be
> interested to hear a SASS recording when you've field tested your creation.

Right now my main problem in testing is that it's near silent as far as
wildlife. I will be putting up some samples.

I put a cap on the right mic of the SASS tonight to test using a PZM
style gap instead of the mic open. By just capping one side I should be
able to do some pretty direct comparison. Now if I can just find things
to listen to.

My father is a engineer, he always thought through designs carefully. I
tend to follow his lead.

The boot laces are primarily to keep down rubbing or slapping noise from
cable movement. It's not entirely necessary, for Rycote shock mounts
it's a costly add on which is even more elaborate. I used boot laces to
provide the cover simply because it's a easy source for small diameter
tubular braid of fairly soft fiber. A whole lot cheaper than buying such
cables.

With the original SASS, soft covered cables would be a good idea. That
one will pick up you gently rubbing the cable several feet away from the
mic if the cable is hard plastic. It transmits along the cable, not
through the air. The modified version I did has a O-ring mic support to
stop such things so it has much less handling noise problems.