Re: Re: SASS - MKH110 modification

Subject: Re: Re: SASS - MKH110 modification
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:47:40 -0400
Dan Dugan wrote:
> Walt, you wrote,
>

>>The mic is hooked through the Sound Design MP2
>

> Sound Devices (I'm a dealer)

I wish you could train my fingers. I keep doing that when I type without
thinking. Either that or we have to change the company name ;-)

>>to the HHb Portadisc. MP2
>>set at about 5/8 with two lights on steady, Portadisc at 5 with -15dB of
>>attenuation on top of the -15dB attenuation in the connecting cables
>
>>from the pre.
>
> Why 30 dB attenuation? Are you using the mike inputs on the HHB?

The Portadisc has a single set of XLR inputs, which are then settable as
to type in software. Your choices are mic, mic -15dB, mic -30dB, or line
(plus digital). Run on line with no attenuation the MP2's output is just
slightly weak, I end up pushing the gain way up on the Portadisc. I made
up the equivalent of the SD -15dB connecting cables and have found the
best balance while using them is to set it to mic -15dB, or if the
signal is pretty weak maybe just straight mic. I then end up with gain
settings on the portadisc that are midrange. I'm still experimenting
with all this, and it's somewhat dependent on the mics as well. I did
consider setting up a -30dB set of connecting cables. It's all very
provisional at this point, I'm trying a number of ways of setting it all
up to see what works well.

I have since found I have another problem anyway. The MP2 is drawing
quite a bit of current off the MKH110's, drawing down their supply
voltage. I'm going to have to fix that.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:47 2005
Message: 1