Re: MSTC 64g

Subject: Re: MSTC 64g
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:28:34 -0400
Dan Dugan wrote:
> Walt, you wrote,
>

>>I've got to gain experience with
>>M/S, but I think it's going to be a important part of my arsenal. So I'm
>>going over any info I can get. I'm assuming for future processing that
>>it's best to set the gain for each mic for optimum recording and adjust
>>later? Rather than trying to record to optimize for a future stereo
>>field by using the headphone monitoring, but still recording the signals
>>without decoding?
>

> I would monitor decoded to stereo, and set the levels so that it
> sounds good. Sure, the meter is going to read lower on the S channel,
> but I think the advantage of having something that you can just
> listen to outweighs reduced s/n in the S channel, which, after all,
> is going to be mixed at a lower level anyway. For the same reason, I
> wouldn't say you'd be wrong to decode an M/S mike to stereo for
> master recording! As long as the recording is noted that it was
> recorded with an M/S mike, it's easy to re-process it for more or
> less width in a workstation, and you would have the advantage of a
> listenable archive.

These are all issues I'm trying to decide. I wandered around last night
with just the MKH60/30 plugged direct into the Portadisc seeing what it
would be like monitoring without decoding. It's a bit tricky coming up
with pointing cues from the sound. So I'm pretty sure I want to monitor
in decoded stereo where directional cues are much more obvious.

The master recordings are another issue I've been thinking about. I need
to run some stuff though the system and see.