Re: MSTC 64g

Subject: Re: MSTC 64g
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:21:00 -0400
Veljo Runnel wrote:

> Maybe for a mic with low self-noise (as MKH 40 seems to be) I need a
> separate preamp? I use Portadat. Some articles say, that Portadat has
> very good preamp, but I still wonder whether I should use line input
> with decent separate preamp.

While I can't vouch for the Portadat, the MKH 40 work well with my
Portadisc without a separate pre. I don't see any sound quality problems
going that way. The big advantage of a separate pre is that you can
increase the gain a bit more. Important when you are trying to pick
things up at much distance. Though a MKH 40 is probably not the best
choice if going for distance. One of the shotgun versions would be
better a lot of the time.

Note if going for a separate pre, it has to be low noise too. I have a
Sound Devices MP2 I use that works well. I got that primarily for use
with M/S stereo setups as it has a onboard decoder for M/S.