Re: MSTC 64g

Subject: Re: MSTC 64g
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 18:06:16 -0400
Veljo Runnel wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> Has anyone experience with Schoeps MSTC 64g stereo mic (ORTF) or/and
> MK 4g capsule? Compared to Sennheiser MKH 40? I would be very
> thankful if somebody shares opinion about these microphones.

I have two MKH 40's. I don't have the Schoeps. Comparing specs the MKH
40 appears to be more sensitive and less noisy than the Schoeps.

I do know the MKH 40's are really nice and do what the specs say. Though
I've not had them long enough to really fully test them. I've mostly
tested them MS with a MKH 30. And not with a proper suspension yet.

Note that ORTF is a stereo system invented by the French Broadcasting, I
believe. It's not necessary to buy a special setup to do it. It does
exhibit some phase effects at higher frequencies. It's designed to
imitate the geometry of a human head (a big one at 170 mm spacing)

I note that the technique is listed as providing a 95 degree stereo
field. Yet the angle on the mics is wider and they will be picking up
considerable more than that. Outside, recording nature this may matter.

It would be fairly easy to set up a pair of MKH 40's to do this
technique. I have a extra SASS housing I'm going to try mine in. The
SASS gives a much wider field to my mind.