Wisconsin bird audio recordings online

Subject: Wisconsin bird audio recordings online
From: "feith" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:13:55 -0000
Greetings,
I recently joined this list after receiving an invitation from Doug
Von Gausig. In addition to thanking Doug, I wanted to let everybody
here know about a new collection of bird recordings online at:

http://www.uwgb.edu/birds/wbba/speciesaudios.htm
(part of the Wisconsin Breeding Bird Atlas website)

These clips were recorded within the last 2 years in Wisconsin using
a Sennheiser ME67 shotgun microphone (along with the Sennheiser
shockmount, blimp, and a homemade teddy bear fake fur cover) into a
portable Tascam DAP1 DAT recorder. They were edited on a PC in Sound
Forge and were saved as MP3 files for fast online usage.

I would be happy to hear any comments, error reports, or suggestions
as to what else to do with these recordings.
Some of the more unusual sounds include:
- Connecticut Warbler - if you listen to it at loud levels, there is
a thin ticking sound, as if a blackpoll warbler was singing alongside
it.  It exists in every single call (real recording is minutes long).
It is not a recording artifact...it was very clear during recording.
- Woodcock - interesting tone sung before every peent during breeding
season.
- Rusty blackbird - was singing this unusual song repeatedly during
spring migration.
- Ruffed Grouse - I still somehow haven't recorded the drumming, but
I got a recording of one hissing at me.

cheers,
John Feith
Madison, Wisconsin