Re: Re: DVD writers

Subject: Re: Re: DVD writers
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:03:41 -0400
Chris Owens wrote:

> One advantage of the Portadisc is that it includes a USB interface on
> board. So, getting recording into the PC is easy, albeit in real-time.

As usual, real-time is not the problem. Something entirely different is.

I've commented on this before. While the Portadisc is connected via USB
the only place you can monitor the sound is directly from the Portadisc
because both the input and output of the computer are routed to it. Not
a big disadvantage when recording into the computer. But, should you
want to check what you just recorded you have two choices. Put the
Portadisc into record/pause and monitor on it. Or physically disconnect
the portadisc, plug your headphones into your regular headphone output
from the computer to listen.

I have recorded direct via USB from my Portadisc, but don't do that now.
I use the Roland UA-30, which can monitor both in and out from the
computer, and connect the Portadisc via a optical digital connection.
That way my headphone connection does not have to be moved, nor does the
Portadisc connection have to be changed between each track.

This is a result of Intel's specifications for audio on USB. I've seen
mention that this may change with USB 2 devices, but no confirmation of that.