Re: Re: DVD writers

Subject: Re: Re: DVD writers
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 18:55:26 -0400
Chris Owens wrote:

> >But, should you want to check what you just recorded you have two
> choices.
> >Put the Portadisc into record/pause and monitor on it.
> >Or physically disconnect the portadisc, plug your headphones into your
> >regular headphone output from the computer to listen.
>
> Not strictly true
>
> The "Sounds and Multimedia" section in the control panel enables one to
> set the Portadisc (via USB) as the record channel and the PC's sound
> card as the playback channel. True, you cannot monitor whilst recording,
> but once recorded, the recorded data can be played back through the
> soundcard (either to speakers or headphones) without having to
> disconnect the cable to the Portadisc. To qualify this, I am using
> Windows 2000 Pro and CoolEdit. I cannot speak for other versions of
> windows such as ME and XP, nor can I comment on whether this is possible
> with a Mac - maybe someone else can.

USB 2.0 is supposed to act like this. Do you know if you have USB 2.0 or
1.4 on your PC?

I know Marty and others reported the problem as I detailed on their
PC's. My G4 has the older 1.4 USB, so I've been unable to check 2.0. I
am running the current latest version of OS 9, ie 9.2.2, the one that's
in the classic section in OS 10. I've not checked the operation of the
Portadisc with the G4 we have here that's set up with OS 10.1. Macs have
a similar control panel called "Sound".

Could I manage to set it like you can I could easily monitor during
record, since Peak has that setting in it's record options.

As it is I do monitor during record by using headphones hooked to the
Roland UA-30. And of course that also works for playback. Since I set
that up I've not really bothered keeping up on any fixes. All my sound
I/O goes through the single USB device. Using the optical connection out
of the Portadisc is equally good, and the added advantage of electrical
isolation.