Re: DVD writers

Subject: Re: DVD writers
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:13:02 -0400
 wrote:

> SO, I know that this has been discussed before, but I am wondering if any=
one
> has a recommendation as to which format of DVD I should be using and what
> kind of writer I should purchase.

Since macs come with this built in now I've not really paid attention to
best model. To my mind the formats in DVD are still too much in flux for
archiving, though that's improving rapidly. So I've not really
investigated them. (And I can get 2 gigs in 3.5" opticals anyway if I
was worried about capacity). Once it all shakes out they will probably
be quite useful. I hear far too much about DVD's recorded on one machine
not playing on another.

You want to get all that DAT stuff onto more archival media too.

>From my experience, you never can match the lengths of your original
tapes or disks effectively. That's why I reassign index numbers when I
bring the original minidisc recordings in and go to CD. Those numbers
become my permanent index number for the track. I'm sticking with audio
CD and aiff files on opticals for now. Which means my indexing is based
on the capacity of the audio CD's. CD-R is probably cheaper than DVD,
even though it's less per disk. And using audio CD makes your playback
options not tied to computer. The other advantage of the dual format
archive I maintain is that I'm less likely to be caught in a dead
format. Audio CD is going to be around for a while, probably longer than
anything in computers.