More on MKH and a little story abt. Nagras

Subject: More on MKH and a little story abt. Nagras
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 07:23:41 -0700
Great story, Syd. I've had my MKH 30/40 combo exposed to full-blown
monsoon rainstorms head-on. Fully soaked, I set my tripod and mics
over a kerosene lamp with a small cover to capture and deflect the
carbon and other smoke particles, being especially careful not to let
it get too hot. They were dry and working in about 90 minutes. Sent
it to Sennheiser upon our return to have the system checked and
re-calibrated. It was returned to our lab with the comment "It works
to specs. No problems found."  I have been jamming my MKHs into my
back-pack, unprotected except for the Rykote windscreens and
shock-mounts, for about 14 years, now. They still work as well (same
sensitivity) as the two new additional sets we acquired last fall for
the National Park Service soundscape project we're currently working
on.

The Nagra story: While in the Antarctic in the early 80s, I was
working a particular site for a few days that was inland and the
location of an abandoned American research cabin. Notified of an
incoming weather system, I was stowing my equipment sheltered by the
cabin, which still had some deserted cans of food and left-over
equipment. Noticing a black object in a large cake of ice that had
formed inside the structure, I began chipping away at it with my
trusty Swiss Army knife just as the helicopter landed to retrieve me.
The pilot, nervous about the incoming weather, was trying to get me
on-board with my equipment but the closer I got to the black object
buried in the ice, the more determined I was to find out what was
there. Just as he threatened to leave me the ice finally released its
grip on the object...an abandoned Nagra 3. Rushing to the chopper
just as the impatient pilot was gunning the engine for takeoff, I
hauled the recorder on board. When I returned to McMurdo, I turned a
blow-dryer on the thing for about an hour only to discover from some
of the old-timers that the research site where it had been left had
been abandoned about 10 years earlier. After drying it, I put 12
D-cells in the battery compartment and loaded some tape onto the
transport, and voila!, it worked just fine except for the badly worn
heads that needed replacement.

Nagra story 2: Recording on a film shoot over a northern California
beach, I was hanging out the door with my feet braced on the runners
of a helicopter, the camera-man behind me shooting a long shot down
the beach. The chopper lurched and my Nagra IVs sprung off my lap
ripping the audio and sync cables from the camera and tumbled about
40 ft (about 13 meters) to the beach below. When we landed, the tape
was still rolling!  The only thing cracked was the plastic cover
which needed to be replaced. We repaired the wires, plugged them into
the camera and finished the shoot with perfect audio.

More recently, I dropped a Sony D-10 Pro II DAT recorder a couple of
feet into a shallow pool. I quickly retrieved it and dried it out. It
never worked again.

So, the moral is...

Have a nicer day in the field with equipment that you know will work for you.

Bernie