Crocodile attack

Subject: Crocodile attack
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 22:39:05 +1000
Warning!  No electronics or wildlife sound.  Delete now if not interested in
a crocodile attack under unusual circumstances.

In my last email I told of the crocodile survey work of Prof. Messel in
northern Australia, and promised a posting on how a croc nearly dined on one
of Messel's team.  It happened thus:

Three of the researchers had tracked a very large croc by the radio that had
been attached to it.  They found it basking in the sun on the far side of
the river.  They climbed onto a mangrove leaning over the water, but even
then and using the binoculars, they couldn't get a really good look at the
radio to check how well it was still attached.

One of them said that if one splashed a leafy branch in the water, it
sounded like an injured fish and a crocodile is attracted by the potential
meal.

They did that and almost immediately the croc waddled down to the river swam
out a few metres and disappeared.  The researchers waited. A few minutes
later, the croc's head appeared out of the water below them.  It paused for
a fraction of a second and then launched itself out of the water at the
lowest bloke on the tree.  He was saved only by a small branch that
deflected the croc's strike.  (Three blokes moved smartly as high as the
mangrove would support them!)

I read the account of this in a scientific journal, but it was some 20 years
ago and I don't now remember what journal it was.

Syd.