Re: More on MKH and a little story abt. Nagras

Subject: Re: More on MKH and a little story abt. Nagras
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:24:56 -0700
Bernie, you wrote,

>Nagra story 2: Recording on a film shoot over a northern California
>beach, I was hanging out the door with my feet braced on the runners
>of a helicopter, the camera-man behind me shooting a long shot down
>the beach. The chopper lurched and my Nagra IVs sprung off my lap
>ripping the audio and sync cables from the camera and tumbled about
>40 ft (about 13 meters) to the beach below. When we landed, the tape
>was still rolling!  The only thing cracked was the plastic cover
>which needed to be replaced. We repaired the wires, plugged them into
>the camera and finished the shoot with perfect audio.

Wasn't that your Nagra III? Memory clue: synch cable.

A few years ago a college brought me a Nagra 4.2 that wasn't behaving
right. When I opened it, the electronics were covered with a thick
white fuzz of corrosion. Turns out a student had dropped it into a
creek. Afraid to tell, he'd shaken it out and returned it to the
school, where it sat on the shelf for at least a week.

Just curious, I turned it on. It ran.

-Dan Dugan