Re: Song Playback or Call-down technique.

Subject: Re: Song Playback or Call-down technique.
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:28:30 -0500
Gordon Hempton wrote:

> Has anyone out there developed another technique that they feel is an
> ethical and viable substitute? For example, feeding stations or landscapi=
ng
> to attract a particular favored species, etc.

Well, lets see, feeding. I recently watched a hawk take a bird from my
feeders. So feeders can have a down side too. And they do change the
dietary patterns of the birds. I mostly use feeders to help get more
birds through the winter, I don't normally stock them in the summer.

Landscaping is probably positive. Though I tend to think more in terms
of benign neglect. Like leaving dead trees to be used by hole nesting
birds. And not cleaning out the underbrush. And certainly a wildflower
meadow is going to be better than a mowed lawn. Adding non-native
species of plants may not be all that helpful, however.

I also do things like nest boxes. I've got a nice bunch of bluebirds
that use my boxes every year. Along with quite a few other birds. And
quite a few flying squirrels use them in the winter.

And then there is the water gardening. Birds use the water, but the real
crowd is all the frogs we have as a result. We had a green frog setting
in the first one we set up in less than a day. It's grown considerably
since then.

If you wish to get into this, studying what's limiting the species you
want and providing it can pay dividends.