Re: Call-down

Subject: Re: Call-down
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:33:19 -0500
While some disagree entirely with use of playbacks for either photography o=
sound recordings, I will nonetheless mention a couple of observations about
the technique that I think are relevant:

1) Do not overdo it! In my opinion, one gets the best results by playing a
bird's song only until he quits singing and comes in (assuming that you
begin playback at a time when you hear the territorial male singing or see
him in the distance). In most instances, the territorial bird will quit
singing almost instantly and fly toward the speaker (although you usually
don't see him coming in). I may play another song or perhaps two after he
quits singing, but I always assume that he's on the move and heading toward
the speaker, or perched alert nearby. Quite often, the bird turns out to be
close by, quietly looking for the intruder. After some seconds or even a
minute or so, he will often come almost directly to the speaker,in the
absence of further playbacks, having already determined the exact location
of the speaker.

2) If a bird approaches the speaker, DO NOT play another song! If you do,
the bird will often fly away, or else he will become disturbed and ruffle
his feathers. Normally, when disturbed in this manner, the bird will not
sing, so it's completely counterproductive to play any more songs.

3) If the bird approaches and you immediately quit playback, he will usuall=
look around from a nearby perch or else fly from perch to perch in the area
surrounding the speaker. Finally, if there are no more playbacks, he will
often begin singing from closeby in a very natural fashion, without ruffled
wings, and in a manner typical of a bird after a normal encounter. That is
because he is (probably) assuming that the "intruder" flew away. He has
supplanted the intruder, putting him in a victorious mood.

Excessive playback of songs when a bird is in the immediately vicinity of
the speaker could very well cause undue stress, and I strongly advise
against it.

In fact, for sound recording, I advise against using playbacks at all,
except perhaps under unusual circumstances. For photography, it is a
workable technique that I believe has minimal impact when used
appropriately.

Lang