Re: Song Playback or Call-down technique.

Subject: Re: Song Playback or Call-down technique.
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:33:11 -0700
At 09:15 AM 2/27/2002, you wrote:
>I'm wondering if anyone uses song playback to call down their subject,
>shortening the sound hunt by drawing the animal in close and provoking a
>loud response? Playback of songs/calls is widely used in owl census
>(particularly for Northern Spotted Owl, for example where a very large are=
>must be surveyed with limited resources), and also to bring a bull elk in
>closer, trumpeting boldly, etc. It has also been so overused in the past
>that places like Cave Creek in the SW have signs posted "NO SOUND
>RECORDING."
>
>PLAYBACK seems to me like chumming for fish at best, or worse, out and out
>wildlife harassment. Is there anyone out there in the group that would lik=
>to defend 'playback' as a ethical technique? I'd be interested is hearing
>the views/confessions of someone who has done it or perhaps continues to d=
>it.

This is a subject that is sure to raise some controversy - it always does.=

There is apparently no really good study that definitively says whether
playback is harmful or not. Most in the group know that I do not condone
it, except under strict scientifically necessary guidelines, such as
necessary species surveys, etc. I do have an article that was sent to me by=

the author, Bill Gilbert, and which was written for the Nature Sounds
Society bulletin, Naturesounds.

Here it is in its entirety, long, but interesting:

Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
Moderator
Nature Recordists e-mail group