Re: Song Playback or Call-down technique.

Subject: Re: Song Playback or Call-down technique.
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:31:58 -0500
Gordon:

I used playback fairly extensively for obtaining singing bird photographs
for my book "Music of the Birds". While I certainly consider playbacks to b=
"intrusive", the technique provided me with the only reasonable avenue to
get many shots, especially when dealing with forest birds that sing
primarily from the canopy and from a thousand-and-one different perches.

My justification/rationalization is that I worked almost exclusively with
commonplace birds, in areas where nobody else was working, and I only
subjected individual males to the insult for one or two "sessions" at the
most. In all cases, it was extremely unlikely that anybody else came along
later to do playbacks.

The effect on the males could be viewed as both positive and negative. The
negative is that you're stealing some time away from the male, time he migh=
better spend feeding or interacting with real intruders. The positive aspec=
is that the male who comes in ultimately is the "victor" in the encounter
(primarily because one should stop playback as soon as a male approaches).
Thus, the responding male "thinks" he has supplanted the intruder, gets all
puffed up, and sings his heart out victoriously. Perhaps this has a positiv=
effect on his psyche.

Yes, these are rather insufficient rationlizations, but I must say the
technique did yield many excellent photographs that I otherwise could not
have gotten. Incidentally, using playbacks does not make photography "easy"
by any means. It just makes it possible to get certain species that cannot
otherwise be photographed, except around their nest (I never do nest
photography as I consider it extremely intrusive).

For sound recording I haven't used playback, although I might consider usin=
it in the future for specific cases where I am otherwise unable to get a
good example of a call. For instance: the short outburst of the
Yellow-billed Cuckoo. If a playback would allow me to get a pristine
recording of this call, I'd try it . . . simply for the sake of getting an
excellent example for identification-type guides.

For my work with the SASS, I'd never think of using playbacks, as the whole
point of SASS-work (as well as your Fritz-work) is to document what actuall=
happens "out there", with minimal influence from the recordist.

Lang