canberrabirds

White-fronted Honeyeater is still in KAMBAH

To: <>
Subject: White-fronted Honeyeater is still in KAMBAH
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:08:38 +1000

Comparing the much-observed WFHE with the Little Wattlebird, I do not think behaviour similarities are entirely coincidental.   The similarities are (a) comatose periods (b) close approach permitted, both (a) and (b) occurring together.

As to the WFHE, on the morning of my second visit there, it appeared only quite late in the day and then spent periods of up to 15 minutes dozing on 3 different perches within 4m of an observer, eyes drooping closed asymmetrically, bill occasionally buried in back feathers, slight teetering.  While since then it has apparently been fully alert, the ‘close approach’ aspect remains  -  not at all characteristic of this species in my experience.

The LW has certainly been closely approached.  Today, while resting it could be approached to 1.5m (no closer attempted).  It closes eyes, buries bill in back feathers, remains in same position for at least 15 min.  [The LW’s breast feathers also have club-shaped ends, like ‘cotton tips’, as if for some reason they have not opened properly.]

For both birds the conditions have been very cold.  I think they might be suffering from some kind of stress, possibly from both cold and disorientation.

So far as I can see, the Black-chinned Honeyeater behaves normally.