canberrabirds

grey oval on a White-fronted Honeyeater

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>, <>
Subject: grey oval on a White-fronted Honeyeater
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 19:16:56 +1000
Geoffrey,
Thanks for posting these. A curious thing is shown from Geoffrey's photos. The one on the right shows the clear grey oval below the bird's eye. This was one of the first things I noticed about its plumage pattern. The books vary in showing this (and many other characters). However that grey spot seems to appear and disappear as the viewing angle changes. I think that maybe the feather tips are dark, but bases may be grey, so when seen along the feathers, the grey oval really shows, otherwise it doesn't. Compare left and right photos. I wonder if this is worth formally writing up.