canberrabirds

Further re frogmouths

To: <>
Subject: Further re frogmouths
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 00:46:41 +1100
At 8.45pm (what I remember, back when it was 7.45, was about when it became too dark to put sheep through a gate and not miss any), the three frogmouths began making husky almost barking noises and moved a few metres each within the E. nichollii for about 4-5 minutes, then took off in different directions - first one went east across the road, then, almost a minute later, the next SW into a neighbour's back yard into a tall E. rossii, and the last NW into our backyard into a tall E. viminalis. Latter two stayed for several minutes making husky noises, then disappeared (one minute a big bird on a branch above, then, silently, gone . . .)
Also from my office today I saw a small group (about 6) striated thornbills, and a white throated tree-creeper (I often see on the E.nichollii, and more frequently hear in our bigger trees out the back, but today it seemed a little confused in the thin-branched hakea - could not work out up and down). Eastern spinebills also around most days, and spotted pardalotes coming down to the pond.
cheers
Barbara
__________________________________
Barbara Preston Research