birding-aus

Another bivalve victim (moderated)

Subject: Another bivalve victim (moderated)
From: Ian May <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:22:10 +1100
Hi all

As some of you would know, many observers have raised the subject of restricting or ceasing bird banding on various occasions but this request is always met with great resistance. Bird banders love the birds too but they see them mostly as a research resource and do not seem to feel for their plight. We know that most small flagged waders never return after their first flagged migration because we rarely see a bird with an old worn flag. Most of us recognise there will always be an occasional survivor in some populations but it seems that most of the banded birds perish. Yes the proof to demonstrate that waders are not harmed should be the responsibility of banders but apart from some statistical manipulations using existing data, i cannot find any impartial research projects where the primary objective is to determine banding mortality.

Common sense tells me that any small migratory wader such as a stint or a curlew sandpiper etc. carrying up to 5 leg flags/bands etc. etc. is going to have a hard time crossing the planet twice a year. Their migration must be hard enough without the impediments of flags and bands. They will have a hard time competing for available food and the probability of tangling with fibrous algae must be increased exponentially. Some examples of leg flagging seem needless and almost certain to cause losses of the targeted birds. There are pics circulating of Spoon-billed Sandpiper chicks flagged at the nest wearing multiple bands and flags. We have had examples of Red-necked Phalaropes with leg flags; these birds must swim to survive and what are there chances of surviving with a leg flag attached? Masses of flagged Sanderling rapidly running up and down beaches dodging wave action while attempting to feed. Some of us think this is an outrage.

For many years from the mid 1960's Sanderling could be observed in SE South Australia sometimes in flocks more than 700. Suddenly flagging started and it was not unusual to see dozens or more; flagged birds trailing the main flock struggling to run up and down the beach following the waves. Where the local population remained constant for at least 20 years while dodging domestic dogs and 4WDs and beach fisherman, within a few years of the first flagging exercises, the local population crashed to below 400 and is still diminishing The alarming fact is that we rarely see any Sanderling in the area with old flags returning. Where are they? Leg flagging local Sanderling continues and there is always an explanation such as first year birds go elsewhere or some other convenient story announced to excuse absent flagged birds on their return. The banding protocol used to state that a maximum of 3% of waders will be flagged. I had the impression that meant 3% of the birds caught or of the birds in a local area. Silly me. Once when I raised the subject that more than 20% of a local Sanderling population were seen with leg flags, it was explained that the number of flagged Sanderling i have seen would be much less than 1% of the world population.

I do not believe information from banding/flagging sightings particularly aids conservation arguments. The cohort data discovered is interesting but in most cases the conservation significance of that information is no more valuable than field sightings of waders at the same location with or without bands. The wader counts of the past were a fantastic exercise and engaged many hundreds of birding enthusiasts but now many of us will not participate or share information for fear that the birds we report will be targeted. Recently for no justified purpose, the migratory waders that visit Thompson Beach near Adelaide have been targeted for Canon netting and leg flagging.. They were safe before the so called shorebird 2020 conservation programs were introduced and their numbers varied depending on the year but now I expect we will see a constant decline in local populations as they are cannon netted and flagged.

A few years ago the outrage of seal branding in Antarctica in the name of seal conservation was exposed and stopped in its tracks thanks to a few concerned scientists (whistle blowers) who had observed the sad practice and said "That's enough" I am in favor of wader research through counting and intensive field study. I think it is time to gear up a political anti bird banding group to oppose what many think as a destructive threatening process that offers very little if anything, to the conservation and protection of birds.

Regards

Ian May
PO Box 110
St Helens, Tasmania n7216