birding-aus

Another bivalve victim (moderated)

To: 'Ian May' <>, "" <>
Subject: Another bivalve victim (moderated)
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:01:02 +1100
During a previous discussion about banding in August 2011, this same quesion
about the lack of old flags was raised, and I asked if someone could explain
it. I received this reply:
"Darvic the plastic used for flags has a long life span and is not meant to
fade but in reality it does over time but we are talking 10 plus years in most
cases. There was also a batch of yellow that was slightly paler than what we
were using in the past but that again was quite a few years ago."

It doesn't explain the drop in Sanderling numbers discussed, but it does
explain why few have flags that look old.

Peter Shute