birding-aus

Another bivalve victim (moderated)

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Another bivalve victim (moderated)
From: "Chris Baxter" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:15:11 +1030
Hi ALL

I totally endorse Ian May's comments below re: negative impacts of
unnecessary bird banding/flagging. I have yet to hear any significant
benefits from putting colour bands or leg flags on waders. In essence, wader
conservation is quite simply a matter of finding significant wader habitat
and protecting it - regardless of whether birds feeding/breeding there are
banded/leg flagged or not. We know what needs to be done. We need to be much
more pro-active in protecting precious habitat in Australia and along the
East-Asian Flyway. Dilly dallying around at home, wasting time and money on
futile banding projects is just distracting precious resources from the real
issues.

With regard to the stress caused to waders by banding, I add the following.
Whilst staying at Broome Bird Observatory several years ago, I was intrigued
as to how the canon netters managed to snare their quarry as the very
flighty waders were unpredictable as to where they would roost from one day
to the next. I was informed by a warden there that waders are chased from
high tide roosts (maybe several times or more) in order to get them to
finally settle next to the canon. Harassed, netted, boxed for lengthy
periods, measured, weighed, banded with enough jewellery to sink a
battleship and finally released to try and carry this new impost across the
globe. All for pretty much nought benefit to science/conservation. Enough
said.

Chris Baxter
Kangaroo Island