birding-aus

Another bivalve victim

To: "" <>
Subject: Another bivalve victim
From: Steven Creber <>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 12:34:27 +1100
It's always interesting to me that the pro-banding lobby argue that there is
insufficient proof provided by opponents to justify claims that banding does
more harm than good. I'd like to see the shoe on the other foot. How long have
we been banding waders in Australia - fifty years maybe? How long does it take
to establish the life expectancy of a Red-necked Stint or its migration
patterns? If banding hasn't delivered the goods by now, so to speak, isn't it
time to move on to a better practice or technology? What evidence is there that
banding is actually doing anything to halt the wholesale destruction of wader
habitat in Asia for example? There is unarguably an attrition rate with banding
- maybe now is the time for banders to actually justify their existence as
wader numbers continue to dwindle alarmingly.