birding-aus

Mimicry by Magpie

To: "Syd Curtis" <>, "John Tongue" <>
Subject: Mimicry by Magpie
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 13:59:27 +1000
Hi Syd,

Years ago I was camped in the Border Ranges National Park, when it was known as Wiangaree State Forest, and I awoke to the sound of tapping. It was an Albert's Lyrebird bashing a large rainforest Snail (Hedleyella falconeri) on the buttress of an ancient Antarctic Beech tree at the foot of my tent.

Later on I heard a male Lyrebird calling and its repertoire included mimicry of a number of rainforest birds. Amongst the calls was an unusual sound which, at the time I thought was either the sound of a car braking suddenly on the gravel road or gushing water. I wasn't that familiar with many bird calls in those days so I suppose that the call could have been that of a Paradise Riflebird or possibly a Masked Owl but I still favour the skidding car explanation.

Have you heard any Albert's Lyrebirds mimicking a noise that fits this description?

Greg Clancy