birding-aus

Mobile phone mimicry?

To: "'Birding-aus \(E-mail\)'" <>
Subject: Mobile phone mimicry?
From: "Cas and Lisa Liber" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:18:49 +1000

I am pretty sure I heard one do a mobile phone about 5 years ago. We were at
the disabled track at blackheath in heathland as we had a child in a pram.
My wife and I heard what sounded like a double ring from a mobile phone
repeated over and over but a bit lower and more oddly resonant. We were
standing in an area of heathland where the bush was waist high in all
directions and there was no-one else around at all. My guess it was that it
was some bird (Lyrebird as best option) mimicking a mobile phone. I did not
see any animals though.
Cas