birding-aus

names

To: "" <>, "Penny Brockman" <>
Subject: names
From: Greg and Val Clancy <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 12:21:37 +0000
I like Djagara as well but it is not a name that has been applied widely to
the species as each language group would have their own name for the
species.  In the Sydney area it is "Barri-enna".  I think that these
Aboriginal names deserve recognition in their own right but not as a common
name as how do we choose which one?

BTW if anyone knows the Aboriginal name for the Black-necked (Satin) Stork
other than the two discussed above I would appreciate hearing about it.  I
have asked some local Bundjalung and Yaegl people but so far no one has
known the local name for the species.

Regards

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy