birding-aus

Flycatcher ID help

To: Graeme Chapman <>
Subject: Flycatcher ID help
From: Joseph Morlan <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 01:27:18 -0800
I have received helpful comment on this bird from a number of people with
the conclusion that this is an immature Leaden Flycatcher (Myiagra rubecula
concinna) with the tail formula visible in the flight shot at:

http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/Australia/FlycatcherP1190562.jpg

Key features:

1. Square tail, evident in the flight shot showing the bird flying away.
The central rectrices are missing, but the outermost tail feather r6 is
only marginally shorter than r5.
2. Dark lores. Female Broad-billed have pale lores and male Broad-bill has
a deeper orange throat.
3. Whitish fringed secondary coverts. Broad-billed has rusty-brownish
fringes.
4. Bulging forehead. Broad-billed has more sloping forehead profile.

The tail formula is probably the most important feature. The pale bill base
indicates an immature.

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

<HR>