birding-aus

Missing Migrants

Subject: Missing Migrants
From: Mark Stanley <>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:15:04 +0800
The wetlands I sampled along the southern half of the Bridsville Track 3
weeks ago contained large numbers of Avocet, Pied Stilt, some Red-kneed
Dotterals all of which appeared to be breeding. Also one or two Greenshank,
a single Sharpie and one wet piece of gibber plain had about 25 Banded
Lapwing. I don't imagine any of these ephemeral wetlands having any such
species in a normal season, so when one considers how few wetlands that are
sampled by the track, the numbers of waders enjoying the unusual out-back
conditions could be enormous. Hence the likly dearth of waders.

If you need to feed the your bins or scopes with waders, try Lake McLarty
near Mandurah south of Perth. An unuually dry seaon in the south west is
making this a good place for waders earlier than usual. I saw a Pectoral
Sandpiper amongst the 100s of Sharpies there last Sunday

Mark Stanley