birding-aus

Missing migrants

To: "jenny spry" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Missing migrants
From: "Philip Jackson" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:23:30 +1100
Jen & others
I have never seen WTP so birdless. As part of our Twitchathon preparation we have had two visits to the Werribee Treatment Plant over the lat week. and whilst we saw some great birds, the numbers were way down. We also struggled to find a musk duck (normally very common) and we had to search long & hard, scanning the much smaller flocks of waders, to find a few sharp-tailed sandpipers. Not a single avocet . We, too, wonder where the waders have gone. I can understand that, with dams, lakes & swamps full, the waterfowl are elsewhere, but the lack of waders is surprising. I can only hope that they are elsewhere. It is shaping up to be an interesting birding summer judgimg from the posts coming in.
Philip Jackson