birding-aus

Missing migrants

To: <>
Subject: Missing migrants
From: "Simon and Alex Starr" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:18:45 +1000
Here in northern Victoria it has also been a slightly unusual spring so far.
We have water everywhere, and there are waterbirds, but not the numbers you
might expect.  Certainly Pacific Herons have appeared in numbers. Also Plumed
Whistling Duck are around and about, more than usual.  BTNativehens are here
and there. No big numbers, but I confirmed breeding at a local swamp just today.
There are Rufous and Brown Songlarks on the plains, but not huge numbers.
Little Button-quail are calling across the grasslands as are Stubble Quail and
Singing Bushlarks(not so many). Sacred Kingfishers are commoner than usual.
No WBWoodswallows yet, and very few Trillers.  Cockatiels however have returned
, though not in the numebrs of last year.  Couldn't find any Orange Chats at
regular sites recently.
I am having trouble finding any Banded Lapwings at all I think because there
are so few areas without lots of tall grasses.
I am looking forward to when the inland drys up and billions of nomadic birds
arrive in Pyramid Hill :-)

Cherers,
Simon Starr.