birding-aus

Missing migrants

To: simon starr <>
Subject: Missing migrants
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 12:59:41 -0700 (PDT)
Simon et al,

Interesting comment about the Banded Lapwings. Perhaps they are gathering in
numbers around Morpeth (in the Hunter Valley)  because the habitat they use
there (and around Windsor I beleive) are turf farms, or turf farm edges, which
are maintained to be short grass! Maybe it's worth checking maintained areas
such as grass runways etc?

All of these "inland" reports mention the majority of birds we're missing here
in the Hunter - ie not just migrants but Pacific Herons, Yellow-billed Spoons
etc.

I have another question to the list - where are the Latham's Snipes?

Mick