birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 01:30:39 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 16 May 2010.

Sun 16 May      Swift Parrots (10) Nurragingy Reserve, Doonside (about
5km west of Blacktown CBD)
This afternoon while on a family picnic at Nurragingy Reserve I also
enjoyed having the company of at least 10 Swift Parrots feeding in the
trees around where we were staying (they were frequently feeding in the
eucalypts above our heads). I noticed them as soon as I arrived at
Nurragingy (about 12:30 pm) and there were still around until about 4:30
pm. They were presumably feeding on lerps in the eucalypts close to the
southern end of the main ornamental lake. It was a bit of deja vu as I
had a similar experience on two other occassions while on a family
picnic, at the same spot in Nurragingy and around the same month (my
previous experience was about 2-3 years ago). There were also several
Scaly-breasted (up to 8 in one flock) and some Musk Lorikeets. I also
had a Hobby circling over and an Azure Kingfisher beside this lake.
Edwin Vella

        Fuscous Honeyeater, Rose Robin, Little Lorikeet Warriewood
Wetlands/Irrawong Reserve
4 Little Lorikeets seen in among abundant Rainbow, Scaly-breatsed and
Musk Lorikeets feeding on flowering Swamp Mahogany. 1 Fuscous HE seen in
with many Yellow-faced and Scarlets. Also at the site a Brown Goshawk, a
pair of Olive-backed Oriole and a single "brown" Rose Robin.
Tom Wilson

Sat 15 May      Little Friarbirds and several Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters
Milbrodale and Bulga (NSW Hunter Valley)
At Milbrodale there were 3 Little Friarbirds at Mick's Regent Honeyeater
site (2 km south of the Milbrodale Rd turnoff along the Putty Rd) as
well as a couple of Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters with Striped Honeyeaters
along Milbrodale Rd. I bumped into other birders who had just seen them
there 10 minutes before I met them towards the end of the day. I checked
at the same spot earlier on around noon but saw or heard none. Around
nearby Bulga there were a few more Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters (at 2 other
sites), loads more Striped Honeyeaters , at least 5 Red-capped and 3
Hooded Robins, a pair of Scarlet Robins, a few Rose Robins, Little and
Musk Lorikeets, Rufous Songlark, a few Rufous Whistlers, 2 groups of
Grey-crowned Babblers, 4 Brown Tree-creepers, several Speckled Warblers,
at least one Diamond Firetail, loads of Brown-headed Honeyeaters, large
numbers of Double-barred Finches and a Spangled Drongo.
Edwin Vella

        Scarlet Honeyeater, Speckled Warbler, Western Greygone Mates
Gully Road
Single male Scarlet Honeyeater found in the northern part of Mates Gully
Travelling Stock Route. Other birds included Speckled Warbler, Western
Gerygone, Southern Whiteface. If travelling through area, stop and check
this TSR out, keep eyes open for Regent Honeyeater and Swift Parrot. As
Ironbark is in flower.
Aaron Sandford

        Caspian Tern, Double-banded Plover Long Reef Marine Reserve
1 Caspian Tern out at the roost today. A few Gannets were flying past
and an unidentifed albatross was further out to sea. Also 2 Red-necked
Stints, 1 Double-banded Plover and about 6 Sooty Oystercatchers seen
(although conditions too rough for a fuller wader count).
Long Reef Wader Count

Fri 14 May      Swift Parrot, Little Lorikeet Leacock Regional Park
(access from Casula Rd, Casula)
Other species seen in the last 10 days at this site include Restless
Flycatcher, Yellow Thornbill, Grey Goshawk, Red-rumped Parrot, Rose
Robin, Bell Miner, Olive-backed Oriole and Double-barred Finch. The
trail through the park is c.2m wide and concrete, the park itself has a
mix of tall eucalypts, open grassland, riparian vegetation adjacent to
Glenfield Creek and wattle regrowth. The park is adjacent to the railway
line, beyond which is the Georges River, Glenfield Waste Disposal and
some bushland that forms part of Holsworthy Military Reserve.
Rafael Furniss

        Regent Honeyeater Putty Road, Milbrodale (update)
19 Regents this morning, including 15 in a single flock. Not sure
whether numbers are building or if I've been missing some on previous
visits. Having 2 other people present today helped. Birds still on lerp
and not showing interest in Ironbark blossom.
Mick Roderick, Lucas Grenadier and Glenn Hoye

Thu 13 May      Bassian Thrush Wattle Forest, Royal National Park
The last time I recorded a Bassian Thrush in the Royal NP was 14 May
2004 at the same area. The Wattle Forest is still drier than it was
prior to 2004, but it is returning slowly to its former glory. Thus
seeing this species there again was a great pleasure & a good indicator
hopefully of things to come.
Barry Lancaster

Wed 12 May      Wandering Whistling-Duck Walka Water Works, 2km N of
Maitland
Two birds seen at Walka Water Works.
Jim Smart

        Great-winged Petrel, Arctic Jaeger and Shy Albatross Mistral
Point, Maroubra
At last a southerly airflow to bring some birds : 27 Black-browed
Albatross, 3 Yellow-nosed Albatross, 1 Shy Albatross, 1 Great-winged
Petrel, 1 Arctic Jaeger, 2 Kelp gulls and a few Fluttering Shearwaters
all seen between 3 & 5 pm today.
David Mitford

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers