birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 01:30:39 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 30 May 2010.

Fri 28 May      White-backed Swallow Martindale (south of Denman)
A group of 7 White-backs today along Martindale Rd. Good to see a group
like this in a semi-eastern location. More Spiny-cheeks than I could
count at Medhurst Bridge too (20+). Brown Honeyeaters also present
there.
Mick Roderick

        Southern Boobook, Noisy Friarbirds Balmain
An interesting day for birds in Balmain - a Southern Boobook in Mort St.
Balmain this afternoon, being mobbed by Noisy Miners and a pair of Grey
Butcherbirds, and at around midday a flock of approx. 25 Noisy
Friarbirds flying over Mort Bay Park, heading north (Graeme Buchan had
sighting a single bird nearby earlier in the week).
Robert Griffin

        Brown Falcon Richmond Lowlands
I thought it was deja vu this morning, but in the same spot sat the (I
think) same Brown Falcon. A drive over to Baker's Lagoon yielded a pair
of Brown Goshawks hunting over the fields, a pair of Australian
Kestrels, a lone (though regular) female Swamp Harrier, a Little Falcon
and an adult Black-shouldered Kite with four (4) immature adults
constantly begging for food, while perfectly capable of flying
themselves. A memorable outing indeed.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Thu 27 May      Superb Fruit-Dove Edgecliff Road, Edgecliff, Sydney
Juvenile superb fruit-dove on ground. Slight displacement of beak;
probably flew into a window. Otherwise in very good condition. This is
the second juvenile superb fruit-dove I've seen in Sydney's Eastern
Suburbs in the last 3 months. Are they breeding here?
Joan Dawes

        Cape Petrel and Arctic Jaeger Mistral Point, Maroubra
A close in Cape Petrel seen this morning, nearby an Arctic Jaeger was
chasing the 'slower' birds for regurgitated morsels. 27 Black-browed
Albatross, 1 Yellow-nosed Albatross, 1 White-fronted Tern and 2 Giant
Petrel(sp) were also seen, finally a small pod of Bottlenose Dolphins
were 'surfing' between Mistral Point and nearby Wedding Cake Island.
David Mitford

        Northern Giant Petrel Dee Why Beach
An ill storm-stricken Petrel was washed up on Dee Why beach today. It
was resuced by WIRES.
WIRES

        Semi-palmated Plover Tuross Heads
I have now seen prints of the bird photographed last Saturday afternoon
22 May by Pattie Parker at Tuross Heads. It is a Semi-palmated
Plover!!!!! After a quick look, in my opinion, a female in at least
partial breeding plumage. Digital images taken from the prints will be
posted on Birdline Australia and Birdline NSW. The photos have lost
quality in the scanning process. The bird was not found in a search on
Monday and the weather since then has been appalling. Viewing the
photos, I thought that this was not the same individual that I last saw
in Broome in April. That is confirmed because the BBO tell me that the
Broome bird was still there at that time. It does however have some
likeness, (notched breast band), to a Semi-palmated Plover that has
been, maybe still is, in NZ! This doesn't necessarily invalidate
Pattie's claim of Little Ringed Plover (see #13569) at the same site on
Wednesday 5 May as there are some inconsistencies between the
description of that bird and these photos e.g. wholly black bill on that
bird, orange spot at base on this bird. GPS co-ordinates for that bird
were 36 degrees04'01"S 150degrees07'42"E. That bird was also not seen in
subsequent searches.
Pattie Parker per Mike Carter

Wed 26 May      Square-tailed Kite Freemans Reach, near Windsor
One bird low over ridge woodland.
Eric Finley

Tue 25 May      Swift Parrot Kurrajong Hills
2 birds seen, poss 2-4 more heard, flying south at Douglas Farm Rd
Eric Finley

        Chestnut-breasted Mannikin Wauchope
A flock of about 20-25 birds were seen as I drove past in same spot I
had seen them last week feeding on roadside grasses just on the eastern
side of Wauchope.
Matt Hinze

        Powerful Owl, Ground Parrot, Tawny-cronwed Honeyeater
Limeburners Creek Nature Reserve
About 10 Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters were found just on dusk. Shortly
thereafter about 6 Ground Parrots began calling from around the swamp,
then a Powerful Owl called for 10 minutes from nearby bushland. No Grass
Owls seen or heard though.
Matt Hinze and Henry Siems

Mon 24 May      White-headed Pigeon Berry, South Coast
A lone White-headed Pigeon male was seen feeding in a small reserve by
the side of the main road through Berry as I was passing through
yesterday.
Ashwin Rudder

        Northern Giant-Petrel Windang marine estuary
Northern Giant-Petrel: All black immature. Bill tip slightly pinker than
rest of bill. Being dive-bombed by Silver gulls. Photos and video
available. (1). Also White-bellied Sea-Eagle (1).
Brian White

        Brown Falcon Richmond Lowlands
Saw a superb looking, though a little wet, Brown Falcon near Cornwallis
Rd at the lowlands. Other species of interest were a gorgeous (I think
young) White-necked Heron that even approached me to within 10m at a
little pond beside the road as I was kneeling in the rushes. See a full
frame shot of the heron here:
http://amatteroflight.com/gallery2/d/3808-2/WEB-White-necked-Heron_0193.
jpg
Ákos Lumnitzer

Sun 23 May      Hooded Plover Cudmirrah Beach, Sussex Inlet
On Sunday afternoon with an incoming tide, 2 adult Hooded Plovers were
seen feeding in the intertidal zone, in company with 3 Double-banded
Plover and 5 Red-capped Plover. After a period of feeding, the Hooded
Plover and Double-banded Plovers all took up positions close to small
clumps of seaweed. 2 Pied Oystercatcher and 1 Sooty Oystercater were on
nearby exposed rocks. The various plovers were not perturbed by the
presence of a nearby lone beach fisherman (who was having a successful
afternoon). A short visit to Lake Tabourie the following morning netted
11 Red-capped Plover (in 3 groups) but no Hooded Plovers could be found.
Jenny Madeline & Allan Ible

Sat 22 May      Possible Little Ringed Plover Tuross Heads, NSW
Pattie Parker, the lady that found the Dunlin at Tuross Heads, NSW, in
January phoned me to report a Little Ringed Plover at the same site on 5
May. An Unusual Reports Sighting form with a very convincing description
and sketch was received at Birds Australia HQ today. It will now be
assessed by BARC. Although she and others searched, the bird was not
seen subsequently. However on Saturday 22 May, she discovered a similar
but not identical bird of which she obtained video footage or/and
photographs. I hope to view those photographs in the next few days and
will advise further.
Pattie Parker per Mike Carter

Sat 1 May       Ospreys Ulladulla
The Ospreys have almost repaired the nest on the telecom tower and now
seen regularly fishing over Burrill Lake and surrounding waters. Havent
seen any breeding activity up to now.
Bob Rusk

        Hooded Plovers Racecourse Beach. Sth. Ulladulla
Seven Hoodies with three D-Banded Plovers & 4 Redcaps were seen this
morning on the beach. They had been regularly seen feeding on the rock
shelved Nth end section of the beach until this week of heavy seas
chased them off. 30+ Royal Spoonbills were spotted resting on the calm
waters of Burrill lake making the count difficult owing to the
reflections.
Bob Rusk

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers