birding-aus

RE: bird irruptions and cicadas

Subject: RE: bird irruptions and cicadas
From: Brian Hawkins <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:10:49 -0800 (PST)
It has been a massive year for cicadas around Bellingen on the NSW mid north
coast.  The din in the forest is maddening and bird-watching is nearly
impossible - in cicada-infested forests the birds don't call much, and don't
even seem to move around much.  I wouldn't be surprised if they actively avoid,
in so far as they can, forests where the cicadas are deafening.  Most of the
cicadas I have seen round here are big ones (Razor Grinders, Double Drummers,
Black Princes, Redeyes), which are maybe more difficult for birds to eat than
the smaller cicada species.  I do sometimes see Drongos, Bowerbirds, Figbirds
etc. catching these big cicadas - but the process of eating them is clumsy and
often prolonged.  The big softy juicy Bladder Cicadas, on the other hand, are a
favourite food of the Pacific Bazas in particular.

I think the long, prime-number based life cycles for which cicadas are famous
apply to overseas species.  Max Moulds, the Australian cicada guru, writes in
his wonderful book Australian Cicadas: "the length of life cycle, which depends
on the time spent underground by the nymphal stage, is unknown except for two
grass species, which have annual life cycles." (mind you, that was in 1990)

Around Bellingen, the cicadas last summer were fairly quiet, while the two
summers before that were both very noisy.  Most of our local species seem to
appear every year, though in wildly varying numbers.

Brian