birding-aus

Birds around Brisbane - Banded Lapwings, Superb Blue Wrens, Golden Whist

To: "Birding-Aus \(Forum\)" <>
Subject: Birds around Brisbane - Banded Lapwings, Superb Blue Wrens, Golden Whistler etc
From: "Chris Corben" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 21:04:46 +1000
Hi all, I'm currently visiting Brisbane - a brief work trip.

On Friday, I was surprised to see a pair of Superb Blue Wrens in a garden at Kangaroo Point - not much habitat there!

Today I did a little birding in Brisbane Valley. There were several pairs of Swans actively breeding with very young cygnets at a swamp near Gatton. Is this Jahnke's Lagoon? It's near the Brisbane Gatton Road, on a side road which runs out to Lake Clarendon.

Most interesting to me were at least 5 Banded Lapwings near Seven Mile Lagoon. These were on Banool Rd, in an area where we often used to see them many years ago. Are they still regular in the Brisbane Valley?

Good to see actual water in Aitkenson's Dam, Seven Mile Lagoon, Lake Clarendon etc. Lots of waterfowl around - I saw lots of Grey Teal, Hardheads, Shovellers etc, but a close look could well reveal something more interesting. A few Avocets at Seven Mile Lagoon, and lots of Stilts on all the lakes. Also a number of Gull-billed and Caspian Terns.

Finally, I had excellent views of a first year Golden Whistler (still with bright rufous on the wings). It had a strongly bicoloured bill, just like that of the Whistler photographed by David Clark at Sale on 3 June.

Cheers, Chris.

Chris Corben

www.hoarybat.com