birding-aus

David Clark's Whistler

To: " Jeff Davies" <>, "'Greg & Val Clancy'" <>, "'Birding-Aus \(Forum\)'" <>
Subject: David Clark's Whistler
From: "Chris Corben" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 00:24:18 +1000
Hi all

Yes it's an interesting case of a bird which really shouldn't be that problematic.

It concerned me that the bill colour should be given so much emphasis, but it's an awfully long time since I've seen an Olive Whistler.

I did wonder if that strong an ochre tinge would be seen on a Golden all the way down to the under tail coverts. I expected a Golden to show contrastingly pale undertail coverts (or maybe even the whole belly) even if no yellow was visible.

Here are some interesting pictures of relevance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marj_k/2535125015/
A supposed Olive which looks very like David Clark's bird in that it doesn't show any yellow or paling of the undertail coverts. It looks like a Golden to me....

http://www.birdway.com.au/pachycephalinae/golden_whistler/index.htm
Look at the bottom picture. This could be a good match to David Clark's bird, but with bright yellow undertail coverts.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=340044
shows a 1st year Golden

http://graemechapman.com.au/cgi-bin/viewphotos.php?c=559
shows a female and a fledgling. Interesting re the fledgling - why don't the wing coverts and secondaries have rufous edges?

http://www.ozanimals.com/Bird/Golden-Whistler/Pachycephala/pectoralis.html
shows another first year Golden

Then there's this thing!
http://gallery.hampel.com.au/showphoto.php/photo/2090
What is this? A Golden retaining Juvenal plumage on the belly but not showing rufous on the wing? Graeme Chapman's baby bird grown up?

Then for some real Olives see:
http://www.pbase.com/tassiebirds/image/96374861

http://www.pbase.com/tassiebirds/image/96374366
Another Olive (first year?)

http://www.birdforum.net/bird_view.php?bid=5603

http://graemechapman.com.au/cgi-bin/viewphotos.php?c=562

All of this raises a few interesting questions. But on the whole, there seems support here for Goldens showing the features of David Clark's bird.

Cheers, Chris.

Chris Corben

www.hoarybat.com