birding-aus

summer and summer weather

To: "Wim Vader" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: summer and summer weather
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 00:42:56 +1000
Dear Wim

I forgive you. Where I live in Melbourne they call it winter. But the Silver Banksias and Correas (reflexa and alba) are in flower, along with the Greenhood Orchids (Pterostylis spp), and some unseasonal Coast Tea-tree.(from memory Leptospermum Laevigatum).

Many birds are busy preparing for breeding. Most obviously the Rainbow Lorikeets (almost vanished from Melbourne 40 years ago but attracted by the partly mistaken planting of non-indigenous Eucalpyts - they've helped a nationally endangered mammal, the Grey-headed Flying Fox). White-browed Scrubwrens are calling at their territories and exotic Spotted Turtle-doves and native (but not indigenous) Noisy Miners are copulating at least.

The Museum of Victoria has a display with, from memory, 7 seasons identified by our first human inhabitants.

I haven't studied these enough to know if the arrival of the albatross was recognised.

But sadly - probably our fault - the Sub-Antarctic convergence has moved south and the pelagic species are now rare in Port Phillip Bay.

MIchael Norris
Melbourne