birding-aus

re: Explosion of Crested Pigeons in suburban Melbourne

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: re: Explosion of Crested Pigeons in suburban Melbourne
From: "Val Curtis" <>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 11:49:43 +1000

Although not surburban Melbourne, I recorded Crested Pigeons near Cape Schank, Mornington Peninsula, Vic in 1980. I considered it very unusual at that time.

Val Curtis

Strangely enough there were Crested Pigeons in some numbers down in bayside
Melbourne well before there were appreciable numbers in the north and west
(where you'd expect a 'natural' invasion).  I remember seeing and hearing
them in Chelsea (SE Melbourne, bayside) and around quite a while back (late 90s), and then a bit later at Sunbury and Tullamarine (NW Melbourne). I saw
a flock of 20+ near Sunbury on 17/12/1999 and thought it noteworthy enough
to enter a record in my database - likewise in Whittlesea and Tullamarine in
2000 - Altona in 2002, Northcote in 2003.  Most football grounds and parks
in the City of Darebin have heaps of the things now, and I often hear them
go whistling overhead at my place in Northcote, just north of All Nations
Park.   Back when I was a lad (and up to the middle 1990s at least) they
were definitely a "north of the Great Divide" bird in Victoria - the change has been pretty rapid really - but I don't see any reduction in Spotted Dove
numbers to go with the increasing Crested Pigeons - just lots of both.

I've always presumed that the bayside birds got a little helping hand, as
they appeared such a long way from any intuitively acceptable entry point
into the metro area - but maybe they just cruised down over the Great
Dividing Range, over most of Melbourne, and set up home&hearth in Chelsea!
... probably not.

--
Lawrie Conole