birding-aus

Explosion of Crested Pigeons in suburban Melbourne

To: Wendy <>
Subject: Explosion of Crested Pigeons in suburban Melbourne
From: Fiona Anderson <>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 15:23:33 +1000
Hi Wendy,

Thanks and yes I know what you are talking about as my daughter has lived in
Brunswick for 13 years.  She is thrilled to hear the magpies calling in her
street but was absolutely disgusted about 3 weeks ago when one of the local
residents killed one with a gun as she was sitting on her toilet watching it.
Unfortunately she did not see the gunman or even the direction from which the
shot came.  She has yet to report crested pigeons in her local area. My local
park doesn't seem to have the # of turtle doves since the influx of crested
pigeons.  We have heaps of red wattle birds in the garden now although at other
times we have a lot of little wattlebirds.  But we still have plenty of
silvereyes (at present the Tasmanian race) and thornbills and the odd eastern
spinebill but no other honeyeaters. On the other hand my daughter doesn't have
the wattlebirds but does have white plumed honeyeaters breeding in her very
small garden.  We used to have them but I doubt I've seen one for many years
now.

Interesting.

Cheers,

Fiona> From: > To: > Subject: Fw:
[Birding-Aus] Explosion of Crested Pigeons in suburban Melbourne> Date: Thu, 1
May 2008 11:41:04 +1000> > > Hi Fiona,> just realized, I was not concetrating
and replied to Peter's message, not> you ......> > > > It is my understanding
this is an ongoing trend. I think one of the> birding> > groups was collecting
records to document it.> >> > I have lived in Coburg for approx 30yrs now. Over
the past approx 10 yrs I> > have been delighted to see more and more Crested
Pigeons in the area -> > Northcote, Preston, Brunswick, Coburg, Fawkner,
Essendon etc First, I have> > observed the birds living in relatively open
places like Royal Park, then> > school grounds, but now also in more confined
places like streets with> wide> > 'naturestrips' or an area in (E) Brunswick
with a number of 'pocket parks'> > but no 'big' open spaces there is a resident
population.[Pocket parks => tiny> > parks created by the council, a couple of
decades back, by purchasing> > corner block houses, removing the houses and
installing playground> equipment> > or seats and planting some trees and
shrubs]> > I had hoped these birds would displace the turtledoves, which at
times> have numbered hundreds congregating around my house, when my neighbour
used> to> > (over) feed them. Apparently this is not the case.> >> > Some other
birds have become resident, or semi-resident in my very urban,> > park poor
area of Coburg over the past decade or so (I've lived in this> > house >15yrs)
including Little Wattlebird, Rainbow Lorikeet, Magpie,> Little> > Raven &
Mudlark. I can't tell you what a thrill it has been to hear Magpie> > song in
the area! The pioneer Little Wattlebird, who arrived mateless, at> a> > time
when my (now) ex lived here and worked night shift, and called loudly> > and
incessantly for a mate, was at the time less welcome, but as there are> > now
more Little Wattlebirds living here, it is now me, not them, needing> to> >
sing out for a mate!!!> > >> > all the best,> > Wendy> >> >>
Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org