birding-aus

Wedge-tailed Eagle in suburban Brisbane

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Wedge-tailed Eagle in suburban Brisbane
From: Beth Mantle <>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:21:30 +1000
Hello Everyone,

I observed a Wedge-tailed eagle on the manicured front lawn of a house (mansion, really) in Gumdale, Brisbane yesterday (14th Feb) at approximately 11am. I was so surprised that I nearly drove my car off the road!

Interestingly, Gumdale is a neighbouring suburb of Carina, which is where Peter Crow just reported hearing a Noisy Pitta calling. I wonder if the eagle has been attracted by the large amounts of rain we've been having over the last few weeks, or whether the recent storms blew it off-course. There is a lot of road-kill in this rural- urban suburb (mostly Brushtail and Ringtail possums) so perhaps these might also be attractive to this large raptor.

The nearest sighting Dan and I can recall of a Wedgie to Gumdale is perhaps Mount Cotton??

Cheers,
Beth Mantle
Brisbane