birding-aus

Re: Kimberley Coast destruction planned. Plese read.

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Re: Kimberley Coast destruction planned. Plese read.
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:08:39 +1100
Simon,

The WA and Commonwealth Governments may well be undertaking a strategic
study of where to locate a central LNG hub somewhere along the north-western
coastline of WA. I applaud this approach. However, in his speech to the
recent WWF workshop, Peter Garrett indicated that this study will take 6
months to complete. Like most government strategic studies it may well take
longer.

In the meantime, the EIS for the proposed Inpex LNG processing plant on the
Maret Islands is well underway. In corresponding with the Inpex publicity
officer by email a few days ago, I learnt that the EIS will be ready for
public exhibition by the middle of this year. It would seem, therefore, that
government and community assessment of this particular proposal would occur
before the completion of the LNG hub strategic study. Is this one proposal
that will thus escape the outcome of the government's strategic study? In
this context, I believe Ian May is justified in his concerns about this
development.

The Maret Islands appear to be along the major flyways of migratory land
birds, they are breeding grounds for colonies of Roseate Terns and Bridled
Terns, and also provide habitat for the Kimberley Honeyeater (Meliphaga
fordiana) and the Kimberley subspecies of Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove
(Ptilinopus regina ewingii). The latter two species have a very restricted
distribution in the Kimberleys and any development on the Maret Islands
could significantly impact on their status in the region. Possible impacts
of the LNG plant on the ecology of the Maret Islands that I perceive are:

1. Loss of habitat on South Maret Is for breeding bird populations (seabirds
and bushbirds).

2. Potential introduction of rats, mice and other exotic organisms from
tankers and other cargo ships berthing at Maret Is.

3. Disorientation of nocturnally migrating birds (particularly passerines)
from the bright lights of the LNG plant.

4. Pollution resulting from oil spills etc.

As someone who has visited some of the islands off the WA coastline, from
the Abrolhos Islands northwards, I know first-hand that the chain of islands
along the Murchison, Gascoyne, Pilbara and Kimberley coastlines are in many
ways Australia's equivalent to the Galapagos Islands. Yet we don't seem to
regard them with such importance. I hope that the conservation community,
including the subscribers to Birding-aus will focus its attention more on
the environmental importance of these islands in the future.

Regards,

Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose

Director,