birding-aus

Kimberley Coast destruction planned.

To: "'Ian May'" <>, "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Kimberley Coast destruction planned.
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:31:21 +1100
Hi Everyone,

Ian's comments are extremely important and we should all take note of them
in relation to this proposed development. Of particular note is Ian's
reference to the Kimberley Honeyeater (Meliphaga fordiana) and the
Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove (Ptlinopus regina).

Norman et al. (2007) split the Kimberley Honeyeater from the White-lined
Honeyeater (Meliphaga albilineata) and recognised it as a species in its own
right. This has been accepted by Christidis & Boles (2008). According to
HANZAB, the Kimberley Honeyeater (referred to by HANZAB as the WA population
of the White-lined HE) occurs "from the Prince Regent River, north to the
lower reaches of the Mitchell River, and Admiralty Gulf (including islands
off the north-west Kimberley coast, such as Boongaree, Bigge and Wollaston
Islands in the Bonaparte Archipelago". Therefore, it has a very restricted
distribution, it is thought to be a sedentary species, and any impacts on
populations around the Maret Islands may also have a significant impact on
the status of the species as a whole.

The Kimberley population of the Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove is currently
regarded as a subspecies (P. r. ewingii). However, Christidis & Boles (2008)
noted that Schodde (1997) alluded to the apparent unsettled status of
species limits. Perhaps further DNA analysis would separate this subspecies
from the rest of the pack. According to HANZAB, the Kimberley population of
the Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove occurs in "north Dampier Land (Cape Leveque, One
Arm Point, Cygnet Bay) and islands in the Buccaneer Archipelago (including
Koolan Island); widespread from Walcott Inlet, NE to Vansittart and Napier
Broome Bays, including islands in the Bonaparte Archipelago." HANZAB also
describes the Kimberley population as locally dispersive rather than
migratory. Therefore, like the Kimberley Honeyeater, the Kimberley
population of the Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove has a restricted distribution and
any impacts on populations around the Maret Islands may also have a
significant impact on the status of the species in the Kimberley region.

I also wholeheartedly endorse Ian's other comments about potential impacts
on seabirds and migratory birds and we should be watching and commenting on
this development as a birding fraternity with immense concern.

Dr Stephen Ambrose

Ryde, NSW

Christidis, L. & Boles, W.E. (2008). Systematics and Taxonomy of Australian
Birds ( CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood).

Higgins, P.J. & Davies, S.J.J.F. (1996) (eds). Handbook of Australian & New
Zealand Birds. Vol 3 (Snipe to Pigeons) (Oxford University Press,
Melbourne).

Norman, J.A., Rheindt, F.E., Rowe, D.L. & Christidis, L. (2007). Speciation
dynamics in the Australo-Papuan Meliphaga honeyeaters. Molecular
Phylogenetics and Evolution. 42: 80-91.

Schodde, R. (1997), Columbidae. Pp. 9-63 in Schodde, R. & Mason, IJ. Aves
(Columbidae to Coraciidae). Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Vol. 37.2
(CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood).