birding-aus

Re: Kimberley Coast destruction planned. Plese read.

To: Birding-aus <>,
Subject: Re: Kimberley Coast destruction planned. Plese read.
From: Ian May <>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:42:07 +1100
Hi all

If you are interested in the protection of the Kimberley coast and concerned about the proposal to build a massive LNG plant on Maret Island, you should read this; http://www.inpex.com.au/upload/docs/DEV-EXT-RP-0014_Rev_4.pdf. Rather than address consequences of a major industrial development, the 162 pages of this document reads more like a hypothetical course outline for a first year ecology student. (example of avian management, see page 116). Within the document, there are no adequate processes recommended to identify adverse impacts on birds, there are no management prescriptions to protect birds. There are no mention of strategies to avoid impacts on birds from ongoing plant operations, gas flare and night lights etc. etc. With a proposal of this magnitude, at the very least, there should be some recommended process for evaluating evidence.

I would like to see independent consultative groups of experts adjudicating on natural and cultural heritage values of the area and given authority to make binding decisions on the proponent. In this instance however the methodology is irrelevant because there is absolutely no need to build a central processing facility for LNG in the Kimberley.

The preferred alternative to LNG processing on Maret Island or any part of the Kimberley coast is piping directly to the existing gas processing facilities on Burrup Peninsula in the Pilbara, well away from the Kimberley and any passerine flyway. And the proponent should pay for the pipeline costs. Don't worry, they can afford it. LNG is selling to our whale friendly neighbours on long term contracts for the ridiculously cheap price of less than 10 cents per litre, http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22374847-3122,00.html The Hon Mr Garret has informed us in his recent press release http://www.environment.gov.au/minister/garrett/2008/video-tr20080205.html that "While our search for a single hub will focus on the Kimberley, we will also consider options outside the region". So we now know that Govt. is looking at one only processing site to avoid ad-hoc developments in naturally valuable areas such as the Kimberley coast.. As a humble retired Kimberley fisherman and before that, an officer of the SA Department of Environment serving in the outback with responsibility for among other things, writing wildlife and park management plans for remote areas including the Cooper Basin Oil fields, experience taught me that petrochemical companies run by accountants have one major aim and that is to make money for shareholders. Environmental and social consequences from proposed developments although given lip service are rarely considered seriously except in the context of how to get around problems to obtain a project approval. The concept of abandoning such a proposal as this to conserve natural values is almost unheard of. Oil companies will relentlessly pressure Govt. for acceptance of their proposals usually convincing the people with the power that the project is in the national interest and that minimal environmental sacrifice is justified. It is distressing that the natural values of the Kimberley coast could be traded for a no better treason than to subsidize cheap international gas sales. Where does that serve the national interest?

Regards

Ian May

St Helens Marine Services
PO Box 110, St Helens. Tas 7216
Ph 03 6376 1966
Ph 03 6312 1123

Mob: 0428337956

Ian May wrote:

Hi all

Our birding fraternity should be aware that a Japanese? consortium, Inpex Pty Ltd intends to develop a gas processing plant on Maret Islands on the Kimberley Coast. http://www.projectconnect.com.au/Project_Details.asp?PID=335 Located at 14'26" S, 124'59" E in the north eastern part of the Buccaneer archipelago, the Maret Islands are part of the most untouched, truly pristine area of Australia's coast, an area so remote that few observers have ever visited them. Till now, its remote location has assisted to protect the area but remoteness is a two edged sword because now, without adequate Govt. legislation to protect them, their isolation is contributing to the lack of public knowledge and awareness that is being exploited by Inpex through proposals to develop the area. >From 1992 to 1999, my wife Patricia and I were commercial fisherman regularly working the areas adjacent to Maret Islands for Beche-de-mer (Trepang) and Spanish Mackerel.. We soon learned that these island and the surrounding Kimberley coast are one of the most precious and special areas that exist teeming with diverse marine and terrestrial wildlife. On this list we often hear about the importance of Ashmore Reef to birds but other not so well known island and reef systems in the area are just as important but for additional reasons. The Maret, Montilivet and Cassini Island groups lay within a passerine migration corridor that is the shortest route from Indonesia to Cape Voltaire and Cape Bougainville on the mainland of Australia. At anchor during calm moonless nights of March and April, with deck lights on, masses of passerines comprising many hundreds of flycatchers, swallows, pipits, drongos and other unidentified birds would silently flutter past through our arcs of light heading north. To a lesser extent we would also observe this in late July, August as well when birds were headed south. Often we would notice that our deck lights would disorientated birds and when this was observed, we would shut off the lights. It beggars belief that anyone would contemplate building any light structure, not withstanding a flaming gas processing structure any where near this passerine migration flyway. Additional to this, during the wet season the Maret Island are also a breeding location for Roseate and also Bridled Terns. Of significance Rose-crowned Pigeons and Kimberley Honeyeater and anyones guess what else, are numerous there too.

Anyone interested in birds should watch these development proposals with concern, find out what is proposed and be prepared to bring the roof down if the people with the power allow this one to proceed. Notwithstanding additional cost, off shore ship based processing plants could be developed west of the passerine flyway and avoid most of these impacts. Anyone know the email address of Peter Garrett and the "Save the Kimberley Group"?

Regards

Ian May
PO Box 110
St Helens, Tasmania 72126