birding-aus

Tassie Pulp Mill

To: <>
Subject: Tassie Pulp Mill
From: "Ben Allen" <>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:49:48 +0800
I am not well versed on the Tassie Pulp Mill issue and do not pretend to be
well informed on the issue of pulp mills.

However I do feel that I would prefer to see thousands of square miles of
native forest harvested over cycles in excess of 100 years (as was practiced in
WA) then to see the present preferred solution of tens of thousands of square
kilometers of mono-specific, naturally sterile cultivated forest as we seem to
have now.

The very sad and painful loss of the old habitats, old trees and varied flora
and fauna that was built up in the ecosystems of these old growth forests is in
itself preferable to the destruction and harvesting of vast areas of planted
and managed forests, with little disturbance to any bird life, fauna or other
levels of activity because of the very lack of life in the mono-cultured
environments.

Obviously the ideal is to have no harvesting, but if that is not an economic
reality then I personally would prefer to see the use of long cycle native
forests with a managed harvesting system to promote diversity and species
survival at every level.  I am certainly not keen on the widespread use of
cultivated mono-specific tree cropping which seems to be the present trend.

Regards

Ben

from [Tony Russell (
m("esc.net.au","pratincole");&amp;idxname=birding-aus&amp;sort=date:late">http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=+from:&amp;idxname=birding-aus&amp;sort=date:late