birding-aus

Whats in an indigenous bird name - a job for theESIG?

To: Alan Gillanders <>
Subject: Whats in an indigenous bird name - a job for theESIG?
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 18:44:06 +1000
Hi,

I haven't been following this debate very closely I have to admit but I wouldn't assume that all bird have an indigenous name.

I remember that when I was working on finches (Star and Crimson) at the Pormpuraaw community on Cape York Peninsula (on the Gulf) I was interested in the names given to the birds. I know finches were all given one name Minh something or other. It seemed to denote their lack of importance to people! On the other hand there were multiple names for things of economic (food or resource related) importance to denote different sexes, ages etc.

Now it could be that all the bird species had different names and many of them have since been forgotten but I think I lean towards their just having a different way of looking at species to the way English-speaking European- origin man does. When you are living off the land it makes sense to have the most descriptive names relating to species that you need to know intimately such as Magpie Goose, ducks etc. LBJ's (little brown jobs) like thornbills and gerygones would be pretty low down the scale of importance to survival I reckon.

Plains-wanderer.... well, I can't imagine it being regarded as significant. If there is a known indigenous name well and good.

Cheers

Mick

?-- Michael Todd
Wildlifing: Images of Nature: www.wildlifing.com
PhD Candidate- Tasmanian Masked Owl
School of Zoology, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 05, Hobart, Tasmania 7001
Mobile: o41o 123715

Alan Gillanders wrote:
Laurie,
By, "Perhaps a species that fits in a class of its own, such as the Plains Wanderer might be a suitable candidate for having an indigenous name," do mean one that the rest of us use? Very few birds would not have an indigenous name.
Regards,
Alan