birding-aus

Binoculars

To: "Peter Shute" <>, <>
Subject: Binoculars
From: "Margaret Cameron" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:02:03 +1000
I said that I would recommend that anyone who wants to use binoculars while wearing glasses really tests them out, for example by looking at small fast objects in the sky.

And Peter asks "How do you do that in a shop?"

Most shops - in fact all shops where I have been buying binoculars - will let you take them outside to test them by looking at flying objects, close things, distant things, things with lots of detail, things against the light, etc. I have never asked to take more than one pair outside at a time! I have never been refused but if I was I would take my business elsewhere. (I would actually prefer to spend a bit more if that is what it costs to deal with a seller with whom I can have a good and trusting relationship. The last pair I bought was at The Birding Shop in Melbourne and Charles was as always very knowledgeable and helpful about optics. I may well have been able to knock a few dollars off by trying other places but his advice and service has been invaluable. )

If I thought I would have to buy sight unseen by mail, I would go to as many bird club things as I could manage and have a very good look at everyone's new binoculars - most people are extremely helpful about this and usually very enthusiastic about telling you how good their binoculars and why (as I did earlier). (Another reason for being in a bird club - learning about equipment.)

Incidentally I strongly agree with Lloyd's point about binoculars for dim light - my B&L's greatly enhanced my pleasure in the nocturnal house at Healesville as the combination of close focus and good light gathering meant I could really study those small nocturnal animals.

Margaret Cameron
2 Cintra Street
Eastern Heights
Queensland 4305