birding-aus

Binoculars

To: <>
Subject: Binoculars
From: "Margaret Cameron" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:16:48 +1000
I use 8X42 Waterproof Bausch & Lomb binoculars. I have some 10X50 Zeiss which I
almost never use as they are too heavy and because I really value the close
focus of the others - I can focus on something less than 2m away and I find
this very useful. If I ever buy another pair I will ensure they focus just as
close.

In choosing them I was also influenced in that as far as I knew Phoebe
Snetzinger's Bausch & Lombs were the only ones which survived our famous boat
capsize (at night, at sea off Irian Jaya). Even without getting shipwrecked to
test them out, good waterproofing is very important in binoculars, as Michael
points out, and has been quite useful. Mine have had a hard life and been to
several steamy countries and are still fine.

I had a shortlist of several but finally chose these because they were the best
fit with my glasses. I found quite a striking difference between brands from
this point of view and would recommend that anyone who wants to use binoculars
while wearing glasses really tests them out, for example by looking at small
fast objects in the sky. (If you think "It''s not perfect but I'll get used to
it", in my experience you probably won't.)

I used to buy cheaper brands as I am sorry to say I tend to drop them or take
them to dusty or humid places, and for many years I wore them on small boats so
they caught salt spray or were banged on things in rough seas. Replacing them
was cheap. However I find more expensive ones are much more robust and usually
their manufacturers offer much better service.

I have lost track of who started this, but good luck with your purchase!

Margaret

Margaret Cameron
2 Cintra Street
Eastern Heights