birding-aus

Re: SPOTLIGHTING equipment news

To: Birding Australia <>
Subject: Re: SPOTLIGHTING equipment news
From: Andrew <>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:35:23 +0800
Hi,

I would estimate that that torch would have a 10 watt bulb at the very maximum. Better than the 6 watts of a dolphin torch (with a normal globe) but much less light than what I would consider a good spotlight; ie a minimum of 25 watts or preferably up to 100 watts (quartz halogen bulb).

You can get quite a decent spotlight with internal rechargeable battery (+ charger) for around $70 - 80. (Just look on the internet.)

Dry cell motor cycle batteries are lead acid batteries; it is just that that they are sealed and may be made to take deep cycling. They have no 'memory' and so periodic flattening and recharging does nothing for them. (NiCad batteries on the other hand do have a 'memory' and do need to be completely discharged and recharged each cycle).

Andrew

Alan McBride wrote:

Hi Bob,

good advice I'm sure.

I was only talking about the battery for this M11 ("Naturally with these batteries") which incidentally is a 4 C NiCad battery. It also comes with it's own charger supplied by Pelican and the instructions from them recommend this charge / delete process a number of times as it lengthens battery life for each charge and ultimately its total life.

The batteries on this flashlight don't "need" to be flattened but as I usually flatten them anyway while spotlighting it's not an issue. The charger that comes with the light is also a drip or trickle type charger which doesn't damage the batteries. My suggestion is only that periodically you should flatten them. I have worked this way with Dry cell motorcycle batteries for twenty years plus and have still got one of my original Yuasa Dry cell batteries! working just fine.

I wouldn't personally recommend anyone carry around a battery with lead / acid (if that's what you mean?) I've always used Dry-cell motor cycle batteries (which nothing leaks out of) with the old Aussie shooters spotlights, which by the way is still great around Sydney but not much use for carrying on flights with the weight, wires, and size issues! It's several KG heavier due to motorcycle battery weight and needs a back pack of its own!. The chargers are also considerably heavier although much lighter than 20 years ago!

This torch fits in a side pocket is strong, sturdy and well protected and comes with a car plug in charger too!

Regards and thanks for the interesting comments.

Alan