birding-aus

Cat Control

To: <>
Subject: Cat Control
From: "Bill Stent" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:12:47 +1000
We have a similar arrangement with our cats, Flåm and Tiara (we used to have
one called Dale, but alas, Eddie, no Voss yet).  After Dale was rendered
two-dimensional on a nearby road and Flåm took a few birds, we decided to build
a proper cat run.  It took quite a lot of planning, as position and access are
important, but we now have a large, entirely caged in area on the side of our
house, where the cats can dig in the dirt, climb various ledges and laze on
raised shelves in the sun.

Tiara, like Dale before her, has a severe case of wanderlust, and does attempt
to escape the house at every opportunity.  However, being a cat, when she does
make it out, she immediately realises that she's off her territory and goes so
carefully that she's not difficult to catch.  We do have a lead for her, but we
don't use it very much, as it does seem insulting.

We can now say that our cats are not a threat to our local population (of
mynas).